SSC Minutes for September 17th, 2018

Personal introductions of new and continuing members- focus on our roles and connections in AUSD and to education in general.

Attendees: Becky Hopwood, parent; Kellie Stoddart, teacher; Don Hoban, parent; Linus Sun, student; Christina Godfrey, parent; Kim Trutane, BOE trustee; Shawn Lucas, custodian; MaryAnn Scheuer, Librarian; M.E. Durell, counselor; Liz Reimuller, Asst Principal.

Note: others will be attending next month. Council has balanced representation so election is not required. Goal is to include more student reps.

Liz: Articulates the difference between the LCAP and SPSA. We want to make sure the sight plan goals align with the LCAP. This is an overarching guideline coming from the district. It is the job of the SSC to get input, make the plan, and submit the plan. Last year’s was approved. Without looking at the previous plan- “What do we think about these topics?”

Elements that will be reviewed this year:

SJCs

Behavior Matrix

Data- (ex. test scores)

This is about people and students and what is happening at the site.

4 Goals in our Site Plan.

Student Outcomes (i.e.- achievement, learning, graduation, career & college)

How are the kids doing? are we preparing them for the world?

Communication (i.e.-Website, bulletins, newsletters, etc)

What is our communication style with the community?

Professional Development

What kind of trainings are people getting? What support is being provided to the teachers & staff?

Data Collection (powerschool, Aeries, Grades, SBAC, anecdotal)

How are we measuring out goals? How are we assessing the efficacy of programs and student learning?

In soliciting feedback from site council members- individuals will write their name next to a note where they are comfortable being a reference point and leave as blank or anonymous if they don’t want to be attached to the feedback.

Focus on one outcome for remaining 15 minutes:

Focused on Student outcomes information

QUESTIONS:

How does relate to the SSC?

How do we prioritize what to work on?

Is the Site Plan connected to money? (Yes)

Liz: Good questions to ask when reviewing a Site Plan are: What do we want to start? What do we want to continue? What do you want to stop?

Group:

A lot of mention of vocational programs for kids. There appears to be a lot of pressure from peers.

Newspaper article regarding community college pathway to the UCs

Career & Technical Education

Broad Course Access

Group consensus: We will continue to discuss observations/questions/comments we wrote about the 4 goals in our future meetings. (save feedback charts)

6:00 Meeting adjourned

SSC Minutes for May 14, 2018

-Getting additional parents involved with SSC:

-2017-2018 Theresa’s last year on SSC, possibly Phyllis’s also (willing to serve or pass on)

-September 2018 will have a reassignment: Kim Trutane (?) in place of Ross Stapleton-Gray

-Current members can suggest parents or others they think can contribute to SSC next year

-Behaviour Matrix:

-Goal is to get as many community members to know abt Behaviour Matrix

-Timeline & Rationale: Summer-Fall 2017

-Behaviour Matrix looks at discipline differently than previous discipline grid

-Beginning of year we looked at social and emotional competencies, hoping to bring this into classrooms K-12 next year

-Reasoning & Evidence: example: harassment and bullying: unwelcome social, written, or electronic comments that are ongoing and hurt the recipient (make them feel powerless)/create a hostile environment

-Goal of behaviour matrix is to make sure discipline is more of a learning experience rather than a punishment experience through conflict resolutions/restorative circles and reflective assignments

-Regarding schedule change: no matter what, students are always going to be there, not just kicked out as far as we can get them; schedule change is very possible as a resort

-Conflict resolution or restoration circle communicates that AHS supports victims of harassment and bullying

-Next Steps: 2018-19 Goals

-Overall goal is to increase student engagement in-school and guiding positive behaviours from all students

-Use freshman orientation, advisories, and interactions w/ students/staff to communicate matrix expectations

-We want to ground our decisions in what is actually happening

-Next year, the behaviour matrix will be part of the handbook, finished with the transition when 2018-19 school year starts

-When we ask a student to stay for detention is to spend some time reading an article or TedTalks on various topics: mindfulness, decision making etc. followed by a reflective assignment

-Two Year Discipline Data Comparison @ AHS:

-Violation: a student who keeps coming down for the same reason

-Disposition: A student who is coming down for multiple infractions

-Between 2016-17 & 2017-18 school year there are decreases in actions and suspensions, increase in students counseled

SSC Minutes for November 13, 2017

Attendees: Don Hoban, Phyllis Pennington-Kent, Liz Reimuller, Sean Krazit, Zoe Ou, Chloe Park., Claire O’Brien, Ross Stapleton-Grey, M.E. Durell

Motion to Approve the Minutes by Phyllis, Don seconded and minutes were approved by the group

Social Emotional Learning and Social Justice Competencies Document:

  • Review of where these come from
  • We will review these and then ask the question: how could we tie these into the site plan for next year?
  • Read aloud of the Competencies:
  • Self-Awareness
  • Self-Management
  • Social awareness/Understanding and Valuing Others
  • Relationship Skills
  • Knowledge of Societal Inequities
  • Skills to foster equity and inclusions
  • Responsible decision-making
  • Deepening of content on a spectrum

SSC Minutes for October 9, 2017

Approved the minutes from last time

Attendees

  • Don Hoban, Parent
  • ME Durell, Counselor
  • Sean Krazit, Teacher
  • Claire O’Brien, Student
  • Chloe Park, Student
  • Theresa Bittner, Parent
  • Valerie Williams, Superintendent
  • Elizabeth Reimuller, VP
  • Ross Stapleton-Gray
  • Allan Garde, Chief Business Official

AUSD Budget Presentation- Allan Garde

  • Questions about other districts and how they’re dealing with these changes?
  • Are these things we need to think about when working on next year’s site plan?
  • Targeting to know full budget priorities by end of January, so decisions can be made?

Single Plan for Student Achievement 2017-2018

  • Approved

SSC Minutes for September 18, 2017

Attendees

  • Liz Reimuller, AP
  • Don Hoban, Parent
  • Phyllis Pennington-Kent, Parent
  • ME Durell, Counselor
  • Sean Krazit, Teacher
  • Claire O’Brien, Student
  • Chloe Park, Student

Minutes

  • Site Plan went unfinished last year and we have an extension. It must be completed in 3-4 weeks. Our task today is to go over the main goals. Then we will begin the cycle again this year to make a plan for next year.
  • Site Council met 9 times last year, but we may not need to be so many times.
  • Wednesday and Thursdays were discussed as possible alternate meeting days, but we stayed with Monday due to attendance needs of current members.
  • We discussed the goals #1-4 of current plan: Achievement Gap, Professional Learning, Data Collection and Communication.
  • (Notes on feedback collected from members will be attached to this agenda this week.)
  • Next meeting will be Oct 9 from 5-6 in the Library. Allan Garde from the DO will be here to talk about the budget.
  • 6:30 adjourned