posted Oct 10, 2016, 5:02 PM by PTSA Moderator
Block A Schedule
- Today is picture retake day. Students who did not have pictures taken at the beginning of the year will receive passes in class to go to the library to be photographed. Students wanting retakes may go to the library during lunch, break or a free period. If you are a staff member who has not been photographed be sure to go to the library today.
- Soon the FLEX Office will have tutors available for a variety of subjects. If you are looking for some additional support, come to the FLEX Office and sign-up. We will match you with a tutor who can help you in the subjects you’re interested in.
- We are only weeks away from November 1st, which means it is almost time for NaNoWriMo short for National Novel Writing Month! This is an event which challenges you to write 50,000 words of original writing during November. See Ms. Oremland for more info or come to the library this Wednesday during Advisory or lunch to find out more.
- GSA celebrates coming out day today by hanging out in the gym lobby! Baked goods and snacks are provided.
- Achievers will be here on Thursday to take cap/gown orders from all seniors during lunch in front of the school.
- Congrats to all AHS students who competed in the debate tournament this past weekend. Special congrats to Alfred Yoon, Leon Chou, Sophia Kamps, Mathilde McKeever, Yunfan Zhong, Sam Smithies, Alex Kireeff, Daniel Liu and William Li for winning records in JV Public Forum debate. Maria Fedyk and Alexa Albert won undefeated in Novice Public Forum and Norman Chou won undefeated in Novice Lincoln-Douglas.
- Homecoming is October 17th – 21st. Get your school spirit on! Check out the leadership board for the full homecoming schedule. A list of possible homecoming points (and deductions) ae also posted there. Go cougars!
- Head down to the gym during lunch today to see the prelim games of dodgeball. The winners of each game will compete in the finals Tuesday of Homecoming week.
- Final auditions for Theater Ensemble’s fall production are today after school in the Multi-Purpose Room.
- Congratulations to the 2016 Doubles Lunchtime Badminton Champions, Quinn Hufler and SJ Kim. Thank you to all those who participated
- Albany Aquatic Center is looking for students to work at the pool as swim instructors and lifeguards. No experience needed. Pick up an application at the Aquatic Center.
- Homecoming is right around the corner. Get your homecoming gear now at the Venture Store during lunch or after school and “rep your color”.
- Please come and support AHS’s Black Student Union and watch the Jesse Owen’s movie “Race” in the Little Theater at 6:00pm on Wednesday. A $5 donation is appreciated.
- Stop by for some delicious baked goods in front of the art building today and support the AHS vocal music department.
College and Career
- This week’s college visits:
Seniors need help with your University of California (UC) application? Come to the UC application help tips Wednesday at lunch in the little theater. Please join the Albany High Counselors for our annual College Night on Wednesday, October 26 from 7:00-9:00pm in the AHS Theater. Learn about the college admissions process from reps from California public university systems and private schools. The evening is primarily for AHS Juniors and Seniors and their families, but all are welcome to attend!
- Today - U of Puget Sound, U of Washington
- Thursday – UCSC, Lewis & Clark
Clubs and Teams
- Biology Club TODAY lunch Room 306 Come hear our guest speaker from UC Berkeley
- Feminist Club Today Lunch Rm 109A
- Harry Potter Alliance – Muggle Studies Today Lunch Rm 110
- Biology Book Club Wednesday Lunch Rm 306 This reading group reads 3 books per year. The first book is by David Epstein called "The Sports Gene - Inside the Science of Extraordinary Athletic Performance." You'll REALLY enjoy reading this one and debating ideas.
- Art Club Wednesday Lunch Rm 128
- Black Student Union Wednesday Lunch Rm 104
- Track and Field conditioning info meeting Wednesday at lunch in the gym lobby. Conditioning starts next week.
- Wednesday night at 7:30 there will be a meeting of the Mountain Bike Club in the library. This meeting is mandatory for all new and continuing racers as well as at least one parent or guardian.
- Best Buddies Thursday Lunch Room 219
- Early releases for today:
- Girls Golf @ 2:15
- Girls Tennis @ 2:45